Friday, 6 July 2012

ISLAMIC HEADSCARF NOW IN FOOTBALL...

The Goal-line technology and the use of the Islamic headscarf were approved by soccer’s ruling body the International Football Association Board (IFAB) yesterday.
FIFA president Sepp Blatter, formerly an opponent of technology, reaffirmed the world governing body’s support after a shot from Ukraine’s Marco Devic at Euro 2012 appeared to cross the line before being hooked clear by England defender John Terry.

The decision clears FIFA to use goal-line technology at the 2014 World Cup. The English Premier League is expected to adopt one system during next season.
Blatter was a member of the panel which accepted test results proving that the Hawk-Eye and GoalRef systems quickly and accurately judge when balls cross the goal line.
Hawk-Eye is a British camera-based system already used in tennis and cricket.
GoalRef is a Danish-German project using magnetic sensors to track a special ball.
IFAB also lifted a ban on the headscarf or hijab which it imposed in 2007, arguing that it was unsafe and increased the risk of neck injuries.

“Safety and medical issues have been removed for the use of the headscarf and it is approved that players can have the headscarf,” FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke told a news conference.
FIFA vice president Prince Ali of Jordan led a year-long campaign to overturn the headscarf ban .
Critics said the ban promoted inequality at the highest level of the world’s most popular game.
Public changes in the governing body’s thinking were clear last year when it was decided that the hijab was a cultural rather than a religious symbol.
The hijab is worn by women beyond the age of puberty to observe Islamic rules on modesty and interaction of the sexes.