Thursday, 23 October 2014

A REVIEW OF THE NIGERIAN MUSIC VIDEO AWARDS 2014

The Nigerian Music Video Awards is here again and the nominees of the various categories have been released and I cannot help but express my view as regards the list...A very interesting list I must say..Let me start with the Video of the year category- We have Aye, Johny, Girlie O Remix, Sitting on the Throne and Dorobucci...I think the Winning Video is either Aye by Davido and Johny by Yemi Alade but If we are to look at the connection of the videos to the viewers, I would gladly go with Yemi Alade because so much effort went into that video aside the fact that It is very indigenous, the storyline is very relatable.

There is a category known as the Best Producer and I find it awkward that names of record labels are being used rather than individual professionals. I believe the Marvin family has done quite well just like Chocolate City and YBNL.

Davido and Yemi Alade might just end up as the major award recipients as they are listed together in the Best Indigenous Concept. Aye and Johny are listed alongside Surulere by Dr Sid, Ije Love by Teddy, Don't break my heart by Cynthia Morgan and Pentecostal Praise by Bethany Bola Thani. Surulere was quite indigenous but not as close to Aye, Johny and Don't break my heart...without mincing words, I would gladly recognize Yemi Alade as the winner of this category.

The Best Use of Visual Effect Category is one that needs no debate because the video in contention is one that was well put together from start to end and It is a video by the biggest African Act..I am talking about spiritual healing by Tubaba and Somori by Omawunmi deserves some applause.

I believe Girlie O Remix by Patoranking featuring Tiwa Savage should get at least a win from the three nominations-Reggae DanceHall Video, Cinematography and Directing...Without a debate, I would go with the Best Reggae Dancehall video because am always distracted by the dance moves in that video and I must applaud Tiwa Savage for her vocal and Dance delivery..She gave swag another definition.There was nothing fantastic about the directing but thumbs up to Mr Moe Musa for the beautiful angles and shots, and so, he deserves to win.

Aye keeps on registering itself in majority of the top categories and that includes the Afro Pop Video Category where It is nominated alongside Oh Baby-Chidinma, You Garrit-Orezi, On Top Your Matter-WizKid, Boogie Down-Saeon, Chakam-Shaydee..My preferred winner is Chidinma..take a close look at the video and you will realise why its the best Afro Pop Video.

These are just some of the categories that caught my attention and I was surprised seeing the name-Obiwon somewhere, I actually thought he was done with music..Above all, I say congratulations to all the nominees and I hope that no politics will be played in selecting the most deserving winners.