Wednesday, 1 October 2014

THE NIGERIAN RAILWAY WILL KILL US SOON...

I am sure every Nigerian wants a good life, from good water supply, roads, healthcare and to transportation..not forgetting shelter but am more concerned about the rail system or should I say the Train itself...Now, It is no longer news that some new coaches have been arranged to convey passengers from Sango to Apapa..Some people have said Its just a fairly used product painted and packaged to the ever ignorant Nigerians..Well, Those Coaches are not brand new but lets just forget that side...

The matter here is the old property we still convey humans with...I have no idea about the age of this Train but am sure even animals will not feel comfortable but we all like to manage situations..praying that things will get better and yes, they are getting better with the introduction of fairly used items, painted and tinted to suit our quest for 21st Century development...This is my experience.

I actually do not learn lessons once but after this second time, I should be held responsible for what happens again when I board the old Train..Let me not bore you with my first experience but the second is far more interesting..If you feel me..Now, I was at the Yaba Terminal at 3.20pm for a departure of 4.20pm, even some grooms are not that early for their wedding ceremony but I had to wait till 5.30pm before I could board this so called Train and I was heading to Sango...By the way, I had to stand because every sit has been duly occupied from the Iddo Terminus with every human you can think of without discriminating...

Now, the inside of this Coaches will remind you of how congested a Molue bus can be..I had to get close to a window and get air while I journeyed to Sango, I had no idea who was louder-the train or the passengers and we spent about 15 minutes at every terminal to pick up more passengers..ask me where they will seat If not the roof of the Coaches..Death Penalty Alert!

To make my story worth interesting..I journeyed on a rainy day and you know the impact of that in an area where drainages are absent...Good! I finally alighted at about 7.20PM but at a wrong terminal because It was dark and I was just too eager to get off the damn Train..I was given a direction and so I followed a larger number of passengers who just alighted and we walked passed a mini River Niger..I looked at myself and smiled at my suede drivers..God Forbid! and so I had to pull off and folded my jeans to knee level just for we the Nigerian Israelite to pass through this moment.

This write up should actually be titled ''MUD DAY'' because after surviving the river-like path, I had to romance a dreaded road under construction but the level of mud there cannot be expressed by mouth alone but my suede..my lovely suede..am sorry you had to go through that...Above all, I know Its not easy for a lot of passengers to afford the 750 Naira Train but that crappy Thing called Train should be reserved in the museum for generations unborn to have a view of what their Nation looks like...I am a proud Nigerian but I do not want to be defined by that standard because we can actually do better than that..Let us reach a compromise by reducing the 750 to about 500 and increase the coaches because that old thing is only a dead sentence and Its not only by an accident..how about our state of health when so many people breath into each other?